Dear Sun City Harriers,
I am excited for tomorrow’s Apple Ridge Run Invite. Our team is getting fit and fast, and I expect some big PR’s. Please arrive on time tomorrow morning. It will take several minutes to walk from the parking area to the race start area where our team will meet and warm up together.
Here’s a couple suggestions to make sure your harrier runs his/her best tomorrow: Get plenty of sleep tonight. Eat a light breakfast at least 2 hours before the race. (A mix of carbs and protein is good; nothing too fatty or heavy.) Stay hydrated with water and eat a small snack between breakfast and race time if needed. Double-tie your shoelaces. And finally, bring your cowbell and ring it loudly!
Here is the race schedule:
10:15 – Team arrives at Apple Ridge Run
11:00 – 2nd Grade and Under Boys Race (1.0 miles)
11:20 – 2nd Grade and Under Girls (1.0 miles)
11:40 – 3rd-6th Grade Boys (1.0 miles)
12:00 – 3rd-6th Grade Girls (1.0 miles)
12:20 – 12:30 – Awards (top 10 in each race get ribbons and team winner of 3rd-6th grade races get a traveling trophy)
Directions to Apple Ridge Run on Naches Heights:
- From HWY 12 West (heading towards Naches), take the 40th Avenue Exit into Yakima.
- Stay on 40th Ave. for about 1.5 miles and take a right on Summitview.
- Continue west on Summitview for almost 10 miles (towards Cowiche).
- While on Summitview, you’ll eventually head down a steep grade into the Cowiche Valley (before you get to the city of Cowiche). At the bottom of the grade on the right is a log cabin called the Summitview Cowiche Veterinary Clinic. Take the right just past the clinic on Weikel Road.
- Stay on Weikel for nearly a mile and turn right on Zimmerman Road.
- After a mile up Zimmerman, turn left on Naches Heights Road.
- Stay on Naches Heights Road for a ½ mile and turn left onto Wherry Road (there’s a big red sign there to welcome you).
- After a ¼ mile down Wherry Road, you’ll see the course and signs for parking.
Team practice will continue into the month of November. You do not have to compete in the upcoming Junior Olympics meets to continue practicing. If you do plan to compete in the Junior Olympics meets, make sure to join USATF the first week of November. Maps, course information, registration link and all other meet information is now available online at http://inlandnw.usatf.org/Home.aspx.
Finally, be watching for more information on an end-of-season team party. The date and place are TBD, but will most likely be scheduled for mid-November.
Good Luck and Go Harriers!
Aleah and Erik Mickelson
P.S. If you have any questions, please email Aleah (ALEAH at MSN dot com) or call us at (509) 833-5952.