Welcome to the postseason Sun City Track and Field.
Congratulations on making it to summer! Everyone should be out of school and into the summer. Vacations should be planned, and we made it through the main part of track season. As the head coach, I’m totally biased but think our first season was a huge success. Several highlights:
- Kids competed well.
- They learned new events.
- They supported their teammates.
- They were willing to try new events (high jump, hurdles, distance, sprints, shot put, etc.).
We have officially transitioned to the postseason. Our first postseason meet was a huge success this last Saturday June 20th in Spokane at Central Valley High School. It is the Junior Olympic USATF (United States of America Track and Field) Association Finals Meet and all 16 athletes who competed qualified for the Regional Meet the weekend of July 11th and 12th in Portland, Oregon. We need to know by Wednesday July 3rd at the latest if your child is competing. Any athlete who finishes in the top three in the Regional meet will move on to the national meet in Jacksonville, Florida. Coach Aleah and I are planning on holding practices through July 8th since our three daughters are planning on running through the USATF Regional Meet.
For the last three weeks of practice, we will only be doing sprints but we will be overseeing the distance workouts for Henry, Brayden, and Hayden. We will also have hurdles out for our few hurdlers on Wednesdays who will be running in Portland. Anyone is still welcome to show up but we will really be focusing on the kids getting them ready for competition.
For those looking for other activities this summer:
- Yakima Youth Track is having their all-comers track meets the next two Wednesdays at Kumler Field. Cost is $5 per child.
- Yakima HC Runners has their annual summer cross-country series at Franklin Park. Each race is only two miles long and the race dates are: June 24, July 8, July 22, August 5 & August 19. Cost is $5 per race and you register at Franklin Park each race day-of in the Rotary Pavilion at 6:30 for a 7pm start.
- Already looking ahead to the fall, we plan on the third season of cross-country. Tentative start date will be September 15th. We’ll be practicing Tuesday and Thursdays at both Franklin Park and Kissle Park (Franklin on Tuesdays and Kissle on Thursdays). More about this on future blogs in August!
***An earlier version of this blog had the first date of XC practice on September 22nd. We plan on starting XC practice three weeks before Sunfair. Last year it was on October 4th so this date is still somewhat in flux.***