Dear Sun City Harriers,
We are nearing the end of our “regular season” and I wanted to pass along some information regarding Saturday’s optional workout, next week’s Apple Ridge Run Invite, and the “post season” Junior Olympics meets.
1. Saturday Workout:
We will again host an optional Saturday morning long run at Cowiche Canyon this Saturday, October 18th at 9 am. Like last week, we will meet at the lower trailhead of Cowiche Canyon for a 40- to 45-minute run with refreshments to follow. (Directions: From 40th Ave., turn west at W Powerhouse Rd., next to Fred Meyer. Take the second left onto Cowiche Canyon Rd., follow for about 2 miles until you reach the trailhead.) Everyone is welcome!
2. Apple Ridge Run Invite:
The final race of our “regular season,” the Apple Ridge Run Invite is scheduled for Saturday, October 25th. The race director is encouraging parents to bring and ring as many cowbells as possible. Bring them and ring like crazy! Unless I hear otherwise from you, I will enter all eligible Sun City Harriers in this race.
Here is the race schedule:
10:15 – Team arrives at Apple Ridge Run
11:00 – 2nd Grade and Under Boys Race (1.0 miles)
11:20 – 2nd Grade and Under Girls (1.0 miles)
11:40 – 3rd-6th Grade Boys (1.0 miles)
12:00 – 3rd-6th Grade Girls (1.0 miles)
12:20 – 12:30 – Awards (top 10 in each race get ribbons and team winner of 3rd-6th grade races get a traveling trophy)
Here are directions to Apple Ridge Run on Naches Heights:
- From HWY 12 West (heading towards Naches), take the 40th Avenue Exit into Yakima.
- Stay on 40th Ave. for about 1.5 miles and take a right on Summitview.
- Continue west on Summitview for almost 10 miles (towards Cowiche).
- While on Summitview, you’ll eventually head down a steep grade into the Cowiche Valley (before you get to the city of Cowiche). At the bottom of the grade on the right is a log cabin called the Summitview Cowiche Veterinary Clinic. Take the right just past the clinic on Weikel Road.
- Stay on Weikel for nearly a mile and turn right on Zimmerman Road.
- After a mile up Zimmerman, turn left on Naches Heights Road.
- Stay on Naches Heights Road for a ½ mile and turn left onto Wherry Road (there’s a big red sign there to welcome you).
- After a ¼ mile down Wherry Road, you’ll see the course and signs for parking.
3. Junior Olympics XC Meets:
The Junior Olympics Youth Cross Country season kicks off Saturday, November 15th at the Association Championships at the Big Cross Course in Pasco, Washington. The top 30 finishers and the top 3 teams will advance to the Regional in Seattle on November, 22. Registration for the Association Championships closes Wednesday, November 10th. So if you plan on participating in this meet, make sure you join USATF soon! Maps, course information, registration link and all other meet information is now available online at http://inlandnw.usatf.org/Home.aspx.
Erik & Aleah Mickelson