Congratulations, we’ve made it to the half-way point in the season!
Aleah and I have been debating the Richland Invite for a couple weeks, and we’ve decided against promoting Saturday’s Richland Invite as a “team-effort” meet. Our reasons for this decision are:
1. The kid’s race is only 0.5 miles in length – this is much shorter than our standard race distance and therefore not ideal for our older runners.
2. The other option is the 3.0 mile Citizen’s race – this is much longer than our standard race distance and therefore not ideal, either.
However, there are some families planning to drive to Richland for the meet. If you are interested, here is the link to the race information, course map, and registration form. The kids race is open to kids up to 13 years in age. http://bomberxc.blogspot.com/p/richland-cross-country.html
For families choosing not to attend the Richland Invite, we are offering an optional Saturday morning workout at Cowiche Canyon at 9 am. We’ll be doing a longer steady-state run on the lower trail. We believe this option will be more beneficial to our runners in the long term, as it will help boost their aerobic fitness level and prepare them for the final race of the regular season at Apple Ridge. It will also benefit the kids gearing up for the Junior Olympics meets, since the race distance is longer for the J.O. meets.
Think of our XC season as two parts: regular season and post season. The regular season ends October 25th with the Apple Ridge Run in Cowiche. The post-season begins with the Inland NW Regional Qualifier XC meet. The regular season is comprised of local XC meets; the post season is a series of qualifying meets overseen by the USAT&F (the governing body of all USA track and field and cross country events, including the national and Olympic level) that starts with a qualifying meet for individual runners and teams in the Inland Northwest association.
This year, the Inland NW Regional Qualifier XC is scheduled for Nov. 15, 2014. The meet location was recently moved from Spokane to Pasco. Due to its new location, we are encouraging as many Sun City Harriers as possible to attend this meet. We will also be encouraging any Wenas Valley runners as well as anyone else from the local middle schools after their season is over to compete as well. There will be a number of high-quality runners from the Spokane and Tri-Cities areas in attendance.
Because we have a small association, nearly everyone who competes at the association meet will qualify for the Regional Meet. The Regional XC Meet is being contested on Nov. 22, 2014 at Lower Woodland Park in Seattle (a very hilly course which is why we are running as many hills as possible at Franklin right now). The competition will increase significantly at the Regional Meet, as it will comprise the best youth runners from Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. I would still expect many Harriers to compete well, as we have many very talented, driven runners. The top 25 runners and three teams from the Regional Meet qualify for the USATF National XC Meet, scheduled for Dec. 13th in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We would love to field at least two teams for the first Association meet in Pasco and maybe even Seattle (perhaps four if we can get Wenas to combine with us).
To compete in USATF events, athletes must become USATF members, which costs $20.00 per year. Here’s a link for more information about USAFT membership http://www.usatf.org/membership/help/FAQ.asp. Also of note: the race distances for USATF races increase in length. Ages 8 & under run 2 km (1.2 miles) ; Ages 9-10 and 11-12 run 3 km (1.8 miles); Ages 13-14 run 4 km (2.4 miles); and Ages 15-16 and 17-18 run 5 km (3.1 miles). This is the reason starting this week we are increasing the distance in our workouts and encouraging the optional long runs on Saturday mornings.
- We’d love to see you this Saturday morning at 9am for a 45-minute run at the lower trailhead of Cowiche Canyon (From 40th, turn west at W Powerhouse Rd., next to Fred Meyer. Take the second left onto Cowiche Canyon Rd., follow for about 2 miles until you reach the trailhead.)
- If you love to compete and run fast, please join us for the USATF Association XC Meet in Pasco. It would be awesome to have 25-50 Harriers join us for the post-season!
- If you know any potential Harriers (especially middle-schoolers) who would like to continue their season, let them know we’d love to have them join our team for the Junior Olympic series.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Sincerely coaches Erik & Aleah